Thursday, February 12, 2009

The First Recipe- Carrot Pumpkin Soup

Welcome to my blog.  I hope to be posting recipes for meals that I have made up on this blog.  My wife and I try to eat healthy and are, well, cheap.  We also don't eat a lot of meat.  We like to claim to be white-meat-i-tarians.  
I have found that when you are trying to eat cheap and healthy you end up eating a lot of soup.  Sometimes things also get pretty unique, but still good.
We have found that a food processor can really help in making good, healthy, hearty, cheap meals.  You will need one for this first recipe.
Today I would like to share with you one our favorite soups.  We like to call it Carrot Pumpkin Soup.  This is what you do:
1.  In a larger pot cook 5 carrots, 1 apple and a bunch of pumpkin (or use two 15 oz cans of pumpkin)
2.  When it is all cooked, let it cool for 15 minutes, then food process it.  Now you have a soup base which you can freeze and save for later.
3.  When you are ready to make your soup, mix in a can of cream of chicken soup (we like to use the low sodium kind).  If you are using the whole pot of soup base, mix in two of the normal sized cans.  Make sure to also add either water or milk until your soup is to a consistency you like. 
4.  Now add whatever you would like.  Noodles, dumplings, vegetables, chicken.  Whatever you are in the mood for that day.  We have even made chili with this base- yes, I know, unique!  but, it wasn't bad.  I would probably not do it again though.  Stick with the noodles, dumplings, vegetables, and meat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search for more recipes on google

Custom Search